Friday, March 6, 2009

sahm critic

Anyone who really knows me will appreciate this confession: I am my worst critic. I have often asked myself, "Hey, Ms. Mom. What the heck happened to your day that you couldn't remember to call [insert friend or relative's name here] ... yet, you have time to facebook and blog?!" I laughed out loud when I read this Tell Me About It article:

Best friend has child. Her: exhausted, busy, no time for self, no time for me, etc. Me (no kids): Wow. Sorry. What'd you do today? Her: Park, play group ...

Okay. I've done Internet searches, I've talked to parents. I don't get it. What do stay-at-home moms do all day?

>>You have to read the full article

Carolyn Hax's response is brilliant and has encouraged me to stop tormenting myself with feelings of guilt or shame when I choose to spend what little downtime I get in a day to be 'alone with my thoughts'. Thank you Ms. Hax for such an honest and funny retort to a misguided and very silly question. And, thank you facebook friend (you know who you are) for posting this article. It has reminded me not to be so hard on myself. And, neither should any stay at home parent, particularly first-time ones.

Now, can someone convince my kids that, after working five consecutive hours, I'm entitled to a 30-minute meal break free from work, according to our labour laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment