Tuesday, February 9, 2010

potty watch

The path to successful potty training, not unlike sleeping through the night, for Little Dude has been a long worn one fraught with many ups and downs. With every 2 steps forward, we're almost immediately met with a step back. Last night, when I asked Little Dude when he was going to go potty on his own, he cheekily answered, "Don't worry, mommy. I'll go in March."

This morning at breakfast he announced that he was never going to go potty again. Yikes. Back to square one! I needed a different tactic and went on a hunt while the boys were at nursery school.

I presented Little Dude with the Potty Watch, a $14 purchase, at lunch time. He liked the music it played and agreed to put it on. The idea is that every 30, 60 or 90 minutes a musical alarm will go off to let Little Dude know that it was time to go potty. I set the timer to 60 minutes.

Ten minutes before the music was scheduled to come on, Little Dude came rushing by announcing that he had to poop and off he went to the bathroom to do his deed. "Put the music on, mommy," he asked still sitting on the toilet. And I did. Over and over. Finally, I told him that he had to wait another hour for the music to come back on.

The alarm went off while Little Dude was watching tv. Okay, here we go. The true test. I reminded Little Dude that the music meant it was potty-time, put the tv on pause and helped him out of his pants. Off he ran towards the bathroom. Minutes later, I heard, "Put the music on again! I peed!"

So here we are again. Back on track. How long the potty watch music will hold his interest, I don't know. I hoping much longer than the purple truck and trailer set did.

At least, he's going again.


update: Five hours. That's how long it took Little Dude to figure out that you have to press 2 buttons simultaneously and then the blue button to toggle through the settings to get the damn watch to stay on "play music" mode. The good news is that he's still going to the potty. [Sigh]

3 comments:

  1. "Don't worry, mommy. I'll go in March."

    Hilarious!

    I've been chatting with my second daughter about the potty and every time I bring it up she says, "No! Nanny teach me potty!"

    I'd like to fight her on it, but she does have a point. I think my mom would do a better job too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one smart little dude you have there! Not only is the "I'll go in March" comment so very funny, but really impressive! My oldest is four and a half and doesn't know what month it is now, let alone what month is coming up next!

    I love that he figured out the watch.. like I said, smart Little Dude :) Good to hear that didn't stop him from going to the potty on his own.

    Good luck!

    P.S. Putting my son in underwear before he was really going in the potty consistently sealed the deal for us. It took a few (messy) days that we had to dedicate to staying home and potty training, but it worked!

    P.P.S. Thanks so much for your comment and for "checking in" a few months ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across this blog when I was looking for a potty timer watch. How long did it take for Little Dude to get potty trained with the watch, or did it lose it's luster? Also, do you remember if that watch was waterproof? We had a timer watch you could set for 30, 60, 90 or 120 min, but my son (4 1/2) just soaked the crap out of it in the sink when he decided to play in the water & now it's all messed up. It was working, which is the best/worst part. I was thinking of replacing it with one of these, but I want to make sure I'm not going to end up buying a truckload of them just to get through potty training either of my kids. My younger one is 2.

    ReplyDelete